Saturday, June 1, 2013

June's Monthly Challenge - Something Old, Something New

June is a traditional month for weddings, and with it comes lots of traditions.

Does everyone know the old English rhyme that says you should wear something olde, something new, something borrowed, something blue, a sixpence in your shoe. It is said that something old represents continuity, something new offers optimism for the future, something borrowed symbolizes borrowed happiness, something blue stands for purity, love and fidelity and a sixpence in your show is a wish for good fortune and prosperity.

For this month's BBA challenge, how about a little twist on the saying something old to focus on taking an old item and making it new. How do you use old items in your work? Do you rework antiques? Does anyone upcycle? Anyone do steampunk? How about quilting with fabrics from clothing that has memories to you? 

I'm kicking off the challenge by posting a project that my daughter and I worked on. We started off with a (new) frame from Michael's, added a (borrowed) cardboard backing from another frame, tacked it in place with flat head tacks (inclusive of one blue tack!) and then layered in (old) wine corks one, by one with a hot glue gun. Now we have a new, fun, upcylced cork board.

Just to get us all started, I put together a BBA treasury full of members items that already fit this theme, along with a few others just for inspiration. Let's see how something old can be something new again ... get creative!

'Something Old is Something New' by AntiquityTravelers

Reuse, renew, recycle and upcycle .... there are so many great materials to choose from and so much better for the Earth!


Paper flower, Book Pages Wre...
$55

Green and white paper beads
$5.75

Rhinestone Earrings - bridal...
$27

DAVID LEE ROTH Vinyl record ...
$23.99

Upcycled Wine Bottle Lamp, G...
$25

Thoughtful and Calm Art Prin...
$6

Mint Opal & Blush Pink . vin...
$18

Peach Rose 2 sided bottlecap...
$9

Paris Theme Vinyl Record Clo...
$22

Ireland Irish Peacock Penny ...
$16.5

Flamingos print, vintage il...
$9.5

Button Charm Bracelet - Spri...
$23

Spoon Ring with Rhodochrosit...
$80

Comfy girls / womens headban...
$4

Ecofriendly Upcycled Backgam...
$65

Elphaba Inspired WICKED Pri...
$9

13 comments:

pasqueflower said...

Love your cork board and the inspiring treasury.

Memories for Life said...

I'm so excited for this challenge! I'm finally going to get my glass cutter out of the box and play :)

Eyelah said...

I've heard of the saying but I never really knew what it meant. I'll have to think about what to do with this one.

BeadedTail said...

This is going to be a tough challenge for me but I'm certainly going to try it!

ilariatj said...

This blog is very interesting, I will visit you again very soon!
In the meanwhile,you can have a look at mine, if you want!Have a look at mine!
www.filidiseta.blogspot.com
ilaria

Paige @ Little Nostalgia said...

Yes! I do this all the time. :-) Great idea for the theme!

DancingMooney said...

This is going to be a fun one! :)

OnePerfectDay said...

Great challenge!
I must make something for this, I have so many ideas already!

Linda B said...

The cork board is terrific. Thanks for including my bottlecap pendant in your Treasury

aspiritofsimplicity said...

love the cork board!! I recycle and reuse things all the time but not quite so creatively

storybeader said...

what a neat re-use of cork! I would have never thought about doing something like this! {:-D

Unknown said...

this is really good site and the coark board is terrific...
company formation dubai

Sheryl Hastings said...

This is a great theme! There are so many cute projects out for up cycling. The wine cork board is so cute too.