7 Questions is our spotlight on our favorite artisans. Please welcome...
1. What do you sell in your shop? My shop started with a few knotwork items made in rope. I made these items using traditional maritime knots I learned when I used to sail on wooden ships. One day, I got the idea to shrink them by using thread instead of rope and my nautical knot earrings were born.
Today, most of my items either contain something nautical, something recycled, or something found in nature. I have jewelry, home decor pieces, and a smattering of other items.
2. What is your favorite thing about etsy? There are many things I enjoy about etsy, but I think what I like most is its professional appearance and the ease with which I can create a professional-looking shop using etsy.
3. What is your least favorite thing about etsy? I'm not complaining because etsy offers fantastic opportunities, but I wish fees were lower, even a little bit. A 20 cent listing fee doesn't seem like a lot, but if you make something small that shouldn't cost much, having to account for that 20 cents can really bump up the price of something/cut into what you make.
4. What does your studio/workspace look like? I live in an apartment, so I converted the dining area into my workspace. It gets decent natural light and opens straight into the kitchen, which is where I do my metal working. Two wire shelves above my desk hold a lot of my supplies, and three big plastic drawers next to/under my desk hold everything else.
5. What do you do to relax? I do my best thinking when I'm running or biking. The repetitive motion keeps my body occupied, allowing my mind to be free. It's almost like some strange form of meditation for me.
7. What are some of your goals for the next year? I am finishing up my master's and have to student teach during the fall 2013 semester. Student teaching is a full time job without pay. I've been saving for it and I can use student loan money to pay my rent and feed myself, but I am very anti debt. I would like to make enough online by next fall to cover at least half of my monthly expenses so I can minimize the amount I need to borrow.
Find more of Natasha here:Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/StalkingTheWildSnark