Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Artisan Spotlight -- Sher Hastings Designs

7 Questions is our spotlight on our favorite artisans. Please welcome...

Sheryl, the creator of Sher Hastings Designs!

1. What do you sell in your shop?

Right now I sell images for clipart, digital scrapbooking, card making, and other crafts. I also sell planners, lists, and charts. Early 2012 I'll be introducing my line of quilting and craft patterns. I've been designing those for about the past 20 years, and the graphics for about 10 years.


2. What is your favorite thing about etsy?

I really like the community where we can connect with other artists and get advice and inspiration. I think it's a bargain as well. I like that there is no monthly fee and you can sell as much or as little as you'd like.


3. What is your least favorite thing about etsy?

I don't know that there is anything I don't like. But, I think it would be great if they could find a way for people who sell digital goods to have an automatic download for our customers. That way they could receive their file right away.


4. What does your studio/workspace look like?

My workspace is pretty much all over my house. I share our home office with my husband. A lot of my work is on the computer. That's where I create all my images for the graphics and where I write up the instructions and illustrations for my patterns. But when I'm working on the actual craft project, I like to stand at the kitchen counter and do my cutting, measuring, etc. If I need my sewing machine, the dining room table is perfect!

5. What do you do to relax?

My husband and I like to hike trails. I also enjoy a little TV at the end of the day with a glass of wine or a cup of herb tea. Shopping and lunch is always a nice way for me to unwind and enjoy myself.


6. What accomplishments are you the most proud of?

In my personal life, I'd have to say that I'm most proud of my children. They are both great kids and are working hard to make something of their lives.


In my professional life it would have to be all my published crafts designs I've sold to magazines and books over the years.


7. What are some of your goals for the next year?

I hope to grow my graphics line by adding a lot more kits. I'd like to concentrate on my Zazzle shop a little more. I started it about 6 months ago and have totally neglected it. I'm also really looking forward to doing more crafts designing. I'll be adding them to my Esty shop and continue submitting them to publishing companies for publication.

My true dream is to quit my day job and focus on my business.


Sher Hastings Designs (Sheryl): Digital Scrapbooking Kits, Planners, & Customized Cards
Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SherHastingsDesigns
Blog: http://sherscreativespace.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sher-Hastings-Designs/194735520568971

10 comments:

Karen said...

Great shop! Best of luck with the expansion of your product line - I think it will be a huge success!

Karen
MysticWynd on Etsy
Mystic Wynd

BeadedTail said...

I enjoyed learning more about you although I got distracted by the precious Yorkie! Your work is wonderful too! I've wanted to learn how to do graphics but I don't even know how to start! Best of luck to you with your new product line for 2012!

Rose Clearfield said...

I'm looking forward to seeing your patterns! I'm glad that I got to learn a little more about you.

Memories for Life said...

Great feature!
Congrats on being published! Any tips for us???

Splendid Little Stars said...

Your graphics are wonderful, Sher! How exciting to be published! (I agree with Edi, that hearing some tips on getting published would be great.)
I, like you, craft all over the house.
It will be fun to see what new items you add to your shop.

Anonymous said...

Good luck in working toward your goals Sheryl! It's so hard working and THEN working more:) Lovely post.

Sheryl Hastings said...

Thanks to everyone for their nice comments and thanks for making me the spotlight for today!

I am looking forward to moving on to the next phase of my designing. My son has been trying to talk me into putting some on now since I have some Christmas ones almost finished. We'll see.

And certainly! If anyone wants information and tips, just contact me and I'll be happy to share some information. After researching the designer's guidlines now, things have changed. Mainly just how you submit. I did everything on a typewriter with the exception of the last thing I had published because that's when I got a computer.

If you are intersted, just let me know. Everyone here certainly has the talent to do it!

storybeader said...

what a neat idea you have. I'd like to learn more about how to make things available digitally to others. Such a smart way to sell your designs. {:-D

Judy Nolan said...

Sheryl, maybe you can do a post here with some tips about digital design publishing tips. That would be interesting! Your designs are so clean and practical. I can relate to what you said about working throughout the house; a large kitchen table is essential for many of us (or open counter space).

Splendid Little Stars said...

Tips on digital design publishing would be great!